Saturday, August 19, 2006

Why this Blog...

You’ve probably figured out the name of this blog is a take-off on “Rip Van Winkle”. Why? Because just as Rip Van Winkle slept for 25 years as the world went by, as far as chess goes, I have had a similar experience. I have had nothing to do with chess for about 25 years. Although I once really enjoyed chess, ordinary living got in the way and I "resigned" myself to a life without “the game of kings”. What a shame!

But now, for reasons of mental health and general well being, I have taken up chess again. What a joy it is to rediscover the thrill and excitement of the game again after all these years.

So here I am – Rook Van Winkle – awake from my 25 years of chess slumber with this blog detailing my new adventures in the realm of the world’s most fascinating game!

It is my sincere hope that others new to chess, or those like me getting reacquainted with the game will find some entertainment – if not useful information – reading this blog.

If you have any suggestions related to chess improvement (or any observations concerning the posts on this blog) please feel free to add your comments…

No comments: